Self-efficacy and readiness for advance care planning (ACP) is underresearched in the Chinese population given that these are novel concepts in the culture.
To translate the self-efficacy and readiness subscales of the ACP Engagement Scale into Chinese using the Brislin's Model and test its psychometric properties in Chinese older adults.
Content validity and face validity were established based on the views of a group of experts and older adults. Then, a survey was conducted with a convenience sample of 204 community-dwelling older adults. Convergent validity was evaluated using Pearson's correlation coefficients with the SURE test, a decisional conflict scale. The scores between older adults who had hospitalization experience in the previous year and those who did not have were compared to examine discriminant validity.
The findings showed that the Chinese subscales had good internal consistency (Cronbach's α 0.94–0.97) and acceptable one-week test-retest reliability (intraclass correlation coefficient 0.66–0.70). There was a significantly high correlation between the self-efficacy and the readiness subscales (r = 0.809; P < 0.01) and moderate correlation between the two subscales and the SURE test (r = 0.509–0.587; P < 0.01). Discriminant validity was supported by significant differences between older adults who had hospitalization experience in the last year and those who did not have (P < 0.05).
The Chinese readiness and self-efficacy subscales of the ACP Engagement Survey are valid and reliable tools for assessing the preparedness of the Chinese older adults for ACP.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Definition and recommendations for advance care planning: an international consensus supported by the European Association for Palliative Care.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: e543-e551
- Advance care planning: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials conducted with older adults.Maturitas. 2016; 91: 101-109
- Effects of a nurse-led post-discharge advance care planning programme for community-dwelling patients nearing the end of life and their family members: a randomised controlled trial.Int J Nurs Stud. 2018; 87: 26-33
- Efficacy of advance care planning: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014; 15: 477-489
- Overview of systematic reviews of advance care planning: summary of evidence and global lessons.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 56: 436-459
- Advance care planning in the elderly.Med Clin North Am. 2015; 99: 391-403
- Advance care planning in the USA and UK: a comparative analysis of policy, implementation and the social work role.Br J Soc Work. 2013; 43: 233-248
- Position statement on end of life care and advance care planning.Australian Medical Association, Canberra2014
- Dying in America: Improving quality and honoring individual preferences near the end of life.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2015
- Advance care planning in Chinese seniors: cultural perspectives.J Palliat Care. 2018; 33: 242-246
- Protective truthfulness: the Chinese way of safeguarding patients in informed treatment decisions.J Med Ethics. 1999; 25: 247-253
- Advance directive and end-of-life care preferences among Chinese nursing home residents in Hong Kong.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 143-152
- Attitudes toward advance directives among patients and their family members in China.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18 (808.e7-808.e11)
- Choices and dignity.(Available from)https://www.lwpa.org.cn/Date: 2013Date accessed: April 7, 2020
- 2019 Taipei declaration on advance care planning: a cultural adaptation of end-of-life care discussion.J Palliat Med. 2019; 22: 1175-1177
- Diagnosing gaps in the development of palliative and end-of-life care: a qualitative exploratory study.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 151
- Development and validation of a questionnaire to detect behavior change in multiple advance care planning behaviors.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e72465
- Measuring advance care planning: optimizing the advance care planning engagement survey.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 53: 669-681
- Can playing an end-of-life conversation game motivate people to engage in advance care planning?.Am J Hosp Palliat Med. 2016; 34: 754-761
- Community-based game intervention to improve South Asian Indian Americans' engagement with advanced care planning.Ethn Heal. 2019; 24: 705-723
- An adaptation of Brislin's translation model for cross-cultural research.Nurs Res. 2001; 50: 300-304
- Translation, adaptation and validation of instruments or scales for use in cross-cultural health care research: a clear and user-friendly guideline.J Eval Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 268-274
- Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures.Spine. 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- A simplified guide to determination of sample size requirements for estimating the value of intraclass correlation coefficient: a review.Arch Orofascial Sci. 2017; 12: 1-11
- Are you SURE? Assessing patient decisional conflict with a 4-item screening test.Can Fam Physician. 2010; 56: e308-e314
- The content validity index: are you sure you know what's being reported? Critique and recommendations.Res Nurs Heal. 2006; 29: 489-497
- Foundations of clinical research. Applications to practice.Appleton & Lange, Connecticut1993
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Prevalence, perception, and predictors of advance directives among Hong Kong Chinese: a population-based survey.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019; 16: 365
- Knowledge, attitudes, and influencing factors of cancer patients toward approving advance directives in China.Support Care Cancer. 2016; 24: 4097-4103
- Brief English and Spanish survey detects change in response to advance care planning interventions.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 58: 1068-1074
- Community game day: using an end-of-life conversation game to encourage advance care planning.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 54: 680-691
- Awareness and attitudes toward advance care planning among community-dwelling older adults in China: a mixed-methods study.Am J Hosp Palliat Med. 2020; (https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909120905255 [Epub ahead off print])
Published online: June 20, 2020
Accepted: June 11, 2020
© 2020 American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.