Palliative care triggers have been used in the intensive care unit (ICU) setting, usually in high-income countries, to identify patients who may benefit from palliative care consults. The utility and benefits of palliative care triggers in the ICU have not been previously studied in sub-Saharan Africa.
Our objectives were to determine the prevalence of ICU admissions in those who met at least one palliative care trigger and whether a palliative care consult influenced the length of ICU stay and time to change of goals order.
We conducted a prospective observational cohort study within our ICU at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi, between December 2019 and August 2020. Data including initiation of a palliative care consult, length of ICU stay, mortality, and time to change of goals order were collected.
During our study period, 72 of 159 (45.9%) patients met at least one palliative care trigger point. Of the patients who met the palliative care triggers, only 29.2% received a palliative care consult. Patients who received palliative care consults had higher rates of change of goals orders signed (52.3%) vs. those who did not (P = 0.009). There was no statistically significant difference between the consult and nonconsult groups in regard to length of ICU stay, time to change of goals order, and mortality.
A trigger-based model, geared to the needs of the specific ICU, may be one way of improving integration of palliative care into the ICU, especially in sub-Saharan Africa.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Kenya Hospices and Palliative Care Association: integrating palliative care in public hospitals in Kenya.Ecancermedicalscience. 2016; 10: 655
- Palliative care in intensive care units: why, where, what, who, when, how.BMC Anesthesiology. 2018; 18: 106
- Integrating palliative care in the ICU: the nurse in a Leading role.J Hosp Palliat Nurs. 2011; 13: 89-94
- Proactive palliative care in the medical intensive care unit: effects on length of stay for selected high-risk patients.Crit Care Med. 2007; 35: 1530-1535
- Preliminary report of the integration of a palliative care team into an intensive care unit.Palliat Med. 2010; 24: 154
- Impact of a proactive approach to improve end-of-life care in a medical ICU.Chest. 2003; 123: 266-271
- Increasing Access to palliative care services in the intensive care Unit. Dimensions of critical care nursing.DCCN. 2018; 37: 180-192
- Choosing and using screening criteria for palliative care consultation in the ICU: a report from the Improving Palliative Care in the ICU (IPAL-ICU) Advisory Board.Crit Care Med. 2013; 41: 2318-2327
- Estimates of the need for palliative care consultation across United States intensive care units using a trigger-based model.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 189: 428-436
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)--a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- The REDCap consortium: Building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95: 103-208
- Power and limitations of daily prognostications of death in the medical intensive care unit.Crit Care Med. 2011; 39: 474-479
- Integration of palliative care services in the intensive care Unit: a Roadmap for Overcoming Barriers.Clin chest Med. 2015; 36: 441-448
- Survey on Barriers to critical care and palliative care integration.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2020; 37: 108-116
- Association between the Availability of hospital-based palliative care and Treatment intensity for critically ill patients.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018; 15: 1067-1074
- Early palliative care consultation in the medical ICU: a Cluster randomized Crossover trial.Crit Care Med. 2019; 47: 1707
- Impact of palliative care screening and consultation in the ICU: a Multihospital Quality Improvement Project.J pain symptom Manag. 2017; 53: 5-12. e3
Published online: December 21, 2020
Accepted: December 16, 2020
© 2020 American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.