Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Pharmacologic management of pain at the end of life.Am Fam Physician. 2014; 90: 26-32
- The epidemiology of pain during the last 2 years of life.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153: 563-569
- Prevalence, distress, management, and relief of pain during the last 3 months of cancer patients' life. Results of an Italian mortality follow-back survey.Ann Oncol. 2009; 20: 729-735
- The relationships among pain, nonpain symptoms, and quality of life measures in older adults with cancer receiving hospice care.Pain Med. 2011; 12: 880-889
- The impact of pain management on quality of life.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002; 24: S38-S47
- Commonly prescribed medications in a population of hospice patients.Am J Hospice Palliat Care. 2014; 31: 126-131
- Update on prevalence of pain in patients with cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016; 51: 1070-90 e9
- Understanding the experience of pain in terminally ill patients.Lancet. 2001; 357: 1311-1315
- Family caregiver skills in medication management for hospice patients: a qualitative study to define a construct.J Gerontol. 2009; 64: 799-807
- Barriers to caregiver administration of pain medication in hospice care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2004; 27: 114-124
- Managing medications during home hospice cancer care: the needs of family caregivers.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015; 50: 630-641
- The economic burden of prescription opioid overdose, abuse, and dependence in the United States, 2013.Med Care. 2016; 54: 901-906
- Drug overdose deaths in the United States, 1999–2017.National Center for Health Statistics, NCHS Data Brief, no 329 Hyattsville, MD2018 (Available from:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db329.htmDate accessed: May 1, 2020
- Managing opioids, including misuse and addiction, in patients with serious illness in ambulatory palliative care: a qualitative study.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2020; 37: 507-513
- Health affairs.2019 ([cited 2021]. Available from:)https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20190605.155057/full/Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- National Academies Press,
Washington, DC2019 (Available from:)https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK544145/Date accessed: August 1, 2020Pain management for people with serious illness in the context of the opioid use disorder epidemic: proceedings of a workshop.
- No shortcuts to safer opioid prescribing.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 2285-2287
- Evidence for state, community and systems-level prevention strategies to address the opioid crisis.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 204107563
- Frequency of outpatient antibiotic prescription on discharge to hospice care.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 5473-5477
- Frequency and documentation of medication decisions on discharge from the hospital to hospice care.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019; 67: 1258-1262
- Prevalence and clinical intentions of antithrombotic therapy on discharge to hospice care.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20: 1225-1230
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.2019 (Available from:)https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/prescribing/guideline.htmlDate accessed: August 1, 2020
- Pearls for opioid use in seriously ill patients.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2019; 33: 54-58
- ggplot2: elegant graphics for data analysis.Springer-Verlag, New York2016
- ggpubr: 'ggplot2′ based publication ready plots.2020 (Available from:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=ggpubrDate accessed: May 10, 2021
- R: A language and environment for statistical Computing Vienna, Austria.2020 (Available from:)https://www.R-project.org/Date accessed: May 10, 2021
Word Health Organization. WHO's cancer pain ladder for adults. Available from: https://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/painladder/en/. Accessed 1 August 2020.
- Use of opioid analgesics in the treatment of cancer pain: evidence-based recommendations from the EAPC.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: e58-e68
- NSAIDS or paracetamol, alone or combined with opioids, for cancer pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; CD005180
- Opioids for neuropathic pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; CD006146
- Opioids for cancer pain - an overview of Cochrane reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 7CD012592
- A validation study of the WHO analgesic ladder: a two-step vs three-step strategy.Support Care Cancer. 2005; 13: 888-894
- Health care worker perceptions of gaps and opportunities to improve hospital-to-hospice transitions.J Palliat Med. 2019;
- Hospice quality reporting program-current measures.2019 (Available from:)https://www.cms.gov/medicare/quality-initiatives-patient-assessment-instruments/hospice-quality-reporting/current-measures.htmlDate accessed: August 1, 2020
- Screening for substance abuse and diversion in Virginia hospices.J Palliat Med. 2013; 16: 237-242
- State legislation to prevent diversion of opioids in hospice programs: a deeper look into ohio law.J Hosp Palliat Nurs. 2019; 21: 365-372
- Screening and assessment of substance use in hospice care: examining content from a national sample of psychosocial assessments.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20: 850-856
- Substance use-disorder prevention that promotes opioid recovery and treatment for patients and communities act, 115th congress.2018
Oregon Health Authority. Opioid overdose and misuse. prescribing and overdose data for oregon. Available from: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ph/preventionwellness/substanceuse/opioids/pages/data.aspx. Accessed 1 November 2019.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. U.S. opioid dispensing rate. maps. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.html. Accessed 1 August 2020.
- Facts and figures.2020 ([cited 2020 2/1/2021]. Available from:)https://www.nhpco.org/wp-content/uploads/NHPCO-Facts-Figures-2020-edition.pdfDate accessed: February 1, 2020
- Variation in hospice patient and admission characteristics by referral location.Med Care. 2020; 58: 1069-1074
Author Roles and Responsibilities: Study concept and design (J. P. F., B. N. N., E. K. F., J. M. T.), acquisition of data (J. P. F., B. N. N.), analysis of the data, (J. P. F., B. N. N.), interpretation of results (all authors), preparation of the initial draft of the manuscript (J. P. F., B. N. N., J. T.) and critical review of the manuscript (all authors).
Editorial Note: David Casarett MD MA
This single-site study reports a significant reduction in opioid prescribing on discharge to hospice, and raises important questions about the impact of this trend on adequacy of pain management.