Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Stress in hospice at home nurses: a qualitative study of their experiences of their work and wellbeing.Int J Palliat Nurs. 2012; 18: 283-289
- Personal determinants of nurses’ burnout in end of life care.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2014; 18: 527-533
- Impact of death and dying on the personal lives and practices of palliative and hospice care professionals.CMAJ. 2011; 2: 183
- Burnout and resilience after a decade in palliative care: what survivors have to teach us. A qualitative study of palliative care clinicians with more than 10 years of experience.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2020; 59: 105-115
- Hospice nurses’ emotional challenges in their encounters with the dying.Int J Qual Stud Health Well-being. 2016; 11: 31170
- Using the job demands-resources model to predict burnout and performance.Hum Resour Manage. 2004; 43: 83-104
<Job burnout_2001_Maslach, Schaufeli, Leiter.pdf>.
<Maslach, Leiter and Schaufeli_2008_measuring burnout.pdf>.
- Burnout Assessment Tool (BAT)-Development, validity, and reliability.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 9495
- User Manual – Burnout Assessment Tool (BAT) – Version 2.0.2019
- Prevalence of burnout in health professionals working in palliative care: a systematic review.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2017; 15: 1905-1933
Demographic trends of workforce. Available at: https://ec.europa.eu/knowledge4policy/foresight/topic/changing-nature-work/demographic-trends-of-workforce_en. Accessed October 29, 2020.
- How many people will need palliative care in 2040? Past trends, future projections and implications for services.BMC Med. 2017; 15: 102
- Population division.World Population Ageing, 2015 (Report no. (ST/ESA/SER.A/390))
- Prevalence of burnout in healthcare professionals providing palliative care and the effect of interventions to reduce symptoms: a systematic literature review.Palliat Med. 2021; 35: 6-26
- Improving the wellbeing of staff who work in palliative care settings: a systematic review of psychosocial interventions.Palliat Med. 2016; 30: 825-833
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.BMJ. 2007; 305: 806-808
Uw onderzoek: WMO-plichtig of niet? Available at:https://www.ccmo.nl/onderzoekers/wet-en-regelgeving-voor-medisch-wetenschappelijk-onderzoek/uw-onderzoek-wmo-plichtig-of-niet. Accessed October 29, 2020.
- Development of burnout over time and the causal order of the three dimensions of burnout among male and female GPs. A three-wave panel study.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 240
- Psychological distress, burnout and personality traits in Dutch anaesthesiologists: a survey.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2016; 33: 179-186
- Ethical decisions in palliative care: interprofessional relations as a burnout protective factor? Results from a Mixed-Methods Multicenter Study in Portugal.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2016; 33: 723-732
- Compassion fatigue among palliative care clinicians: findings on personality factors and years of service.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018; 35: 343-347
- The construction of the health professional in palliative care contexts: a scoping review on caring for the person at the end of life.Porto Biomed J. 2018; 3: e10
- Association between level of exposure to death and dying and professional quality of life among palliative care workers.Palliat Support Care. 2018; 16: 442-451
- How many patient deaths can a team cope with?: a nationwide survey of palliative care units in Germany.Schmerz. 2009; 23: 600-608
- Burnout, psychological morbidity and use of coping mechanisms among palliative care practitioners: A multi-centre cross-sectional study.Palliat Med. 2015; 29: 633-642
- Strategies for avoiding burnout in hospice and palliative medicine: peer advice for physicians on achieving longevity and fulfillment.J Palliat Med. 2009; 12: 773-777
- Addressing palliative care clinician burnout in organizations: a workforce necessity, an ethical imperative.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 53: 1091-1096
- Building resilience for palliative care clinicians: an approach to burnout prevention based on individual skills and workplace factors.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016; 52: 284-291
- Strategies to promote coping and resilience in oncology and palliative care nurses caring for adult patients with malignancy: a comprehensive systematic review.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015; 13: 131-204
- The impact of survey nonresponse on estimates of healthcare employee burnout.Healthc (Amst). 2020; 8100451
- Burnout of healthcare providers during COVID-19.Cleve Clin J Med. 2020;
- Telephone line and buddies against stress.De Volkskrant. 2020;
Special team keeps healthcare professional going: 'Dokter is ook maar een mens'. Available at: https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederland/artikel/5071106/zorgverleners-psychische-hulp-ondersteuning-zorgteam-amc-vumc. Accessed March 15, 2021.
Authorship: All authors participated in the design of the questionnaire. AD did the data collection. AD, LB and NR were involved in the analysis. Interpretation of the data was discussed among all authors. AD drafted the manuscript. All authors were involved in the critical revision of the manuscript and approved the final version of the manuscript.