Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Opioid prescriptions soar: increase in legitimate use as well as abuse.JAMA. 2007; 297: 249‑51
- Opioid epidemic in the United States.Pain Physician. 2012; 15 (ES9-38)
- Trends in opioid analgesic abuse and mortality in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 241-248
- An epidemic of the use, misuse and overdose of opioids and deaths due to overdose, in the United States and Canada: is Europe next?.Bone Joint J. 2017; 99-B: 856-864
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. U.S. opioid dispensing rate maps | drug overdose | CDC Injury Center. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.html. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Trends in analgesic consumption in France over the last 10 years and comparison of patterns across Europe.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2018; 84: 1324-1334
- Trends in the consumption of opioids for the treatment of severe pain in Europe, 1990-2016.Eur J Pain. 2019; 23: 697-707
- An examination of global and regional opioid consumption trends 1980-2011.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2014; 28: 259-275
- Global patterns of opioid use and dependence: harms to populations, interventions, and future action.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1560‑79
CDC. Drug overdose deaths | drug overdose | CDC Injury Center. 2021. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/deaths/index.html. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Trends and geographic patterns in drug and synthetic opioid overdose deaths — United States, 2013–2019.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021; 70: 202-207
- Association of off-label drug use and adverse drug events in an adult population.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 55
- The fentanyl story.J Pain. 2014; 15: 1215-1226
- Clinical and pharmacokinetic considerations of novel formulations of fentanyl for breakthrough cancer pain.Pain Manag. 2014; 4: 339-350
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic modeling of opioids.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2005; 29: S90-103
Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Transmucosal immediate-release fentanyl (TIRF) medicines. FDA. 2020; Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/transmucosal-immediate-release-fentanyl-tirf-medicines. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Prevalence of breakthrough cancer pain: a systematic review and a pooled analysis of published literature.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2014; 47: 57-76
- Breakthrough pain characteristics and syndromes in patients with cancer pain. An international survey.Palliat Med. 2004; 18: 177-183
- Drug utilization study on immediate release Fentanyl in Spain. Prevalence, incidence, and indication.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2021; 30: 371-378
- A network meta-analysis of the efficacy of opioid analgesics for the management of breakthrough cancer pain episodes.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2014; 47 (e5): 772-785
- The misuse of prescription opioids: a threat for Europe?.Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2015; 8: 3-14
- The ecology of prescription opioid abuse in the USA: geographic variation in patients’ use of multiple prescribers (“doctor shopping”).Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014; 23: 1258‑67
- Rates of opioid misuse, abuse, and addiction in chronic pain: a systematic review and data synthesis.Pain. 2015; 156: 569‑76
- Utilization of fentanyl buccal tablets in England: exploring off-label use reported in a cohort study.Eur J Pain. 2014; 18: 506‑12
- Assessment of the FDA risk evaluation and mitigation strategy for transmucosal immediate-release fentanyl products.JAMA. 2019; 321: 676‑85
- French trends in the misuse of Fentanyl: from 2010 to 2015.Therapie. 2020; 75: 491‑502
- Association of a risk evaluation and mitigation strategy program with transmucosal fentanyl prescribing.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e191340
- The national healthcare system claims databases in France, SNIIRAM and EGB: Powerful tools for pharmacoepidemiology.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017;
- Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 162‑73
- Prescription opioid analgesic use in France: trends and impact on morbidity-mortality.Eur J Pain. 2019; 23: 124‑34
- Fentanyl formulations in the management of pain: an update.Drugs. 2017; 77: 747‑63
- Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's disease.Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2017; 68: 15‑22
- Dysphagia in Parkinson's disease.Dysphagia. 2016; 31: 24‑32
- Management of dysphagia in patients with Parkinson's disease and related disorders.Intern Med. 2020; 59: 7‑14
- Evaluation and management of oropharyngeal dysphagia in different types of dementia: a systematic review.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2013; 56: 1‑9
- Dysphagia in the elderly: management and nutritional considerations.Clin Interv Aging. 2012; 7: 287‑98
- Prevalence, risk factors, and complications of oropharyngeal dysphagia in older patients with dementia.Nutrients. 2020; 12
- Dysphagia from a neurogeriatric point of view: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management.Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2019; 52: 330‑5
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of sublingual sufentanil for postoperative pain management.Anaesthesia. 2018; 73: 231‑7
- Oral transmucosal fentanyl citrate for the treatment of migraine headache pain in outpatients: a case series.Headache. 2004; 44: 762‑6
- Intranasal fentanyl for the prehospital management of acute pain in children.Eur J Emerg Med. 2017; 24: 450‑4
- Oral transmucosal fentanyl.StatPearls [internet]. StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island, FL2021
National Institute on Drug Abuse. Fentanyl DrugFacts.2021. Available at: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/fentanyl. Accessed February 14, 2022.
- Balancing opioid analgesia with the risk of nonmedical opioid use in patients with cancer.Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2019; 16: 213‑26