Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- The fierce urgency of now: addressing racial and ethnic disparities in serious illness care.N C Med J. 2020; 81 (Epub 2020/07/10PubMed PMID: 32641461): 254-256https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.81.4.254
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pain: causes and consequences of unequal care.J Pain. 2009; 10 (Epub 2009/12/01PubMed PMID: 19944378): 1187-1204https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2009.10.002
- Unmet needs of African Americans and whites at the time of palliative care consultation.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017; 34 (Epub 2016/02/19PubMed PMID: 26888883): 461-465https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909116632508
- What explains racial differences in the use of advance directives and attitudes toward hospice care?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56 (Epub 2008/09/06PubMed PMID: 18771455; PMCID: PMC2631440): 1953-1958https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01919.x
- Understanding underuse of advance care planning among a cohort of African American patients with advanced cancer: formative research that examines gaps in intent to discuss options for care.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2019; 36 (Epub 2019/04/23PubMed PMID: 31006248; PMCID: PMC7360090): 1057-1062https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909119843276
- Racial disparities in the outcomes of communication on medical care received near death.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170 (Epub 2010/09/30PubMed PMID: 20876403; PMCID: PMC3739279): 1533-1540https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2010.322
- A review of the trials which examine early integration of outpatient and home palliative care for patients with serious illnesses.Ann Palliat Med. 2015; 4 (Epub 2015/08/02PubMed PMID: 26231807): 99-121https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2224-5820.2015.04.04
- Racial differences in hospice use and patterns of care after enrollment in hospice among Medicare beneficiaries with heart failure.Am Heart J. 2012; 163 (e3. Epub 2012/06/20PubMed PMID: 22709751): 987-993https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2012.03.006
- Racial and ethnic disparities in palliative care.J Palliat Med. 2013; 16 (Epub 2013/10/01PubMed PMID: 24073685; PMCID: PMC3822363): 1329-1334https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.9468
- Social inequalities in palliative care for cancer patients in the United States: a structured review.Semin Oncol Nurs. 2018; 34 (Epub 2018/08/28PubMed PMID: 30146346; PMCID: PMC7233309): 303-315https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2018.06.011
- The emergence of palliative care: a new specialized field of medicine requiring an interdisciplinary approach.Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am. 2002; 14 (Epub 2002/06/01PubMed PMID: 12038498): 127-132https://doi.org/10.1016/s0899-5885(01)00002-8
- Race and ethnicity in the evidence for integrating palliative care into oncology.J Oncol Pract. 2018; 14 (Epub 2018/05/31PubMed PMID: 29813013): e346-ee56https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.17.00016
- Palliative care interventions for patients with heart failure: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Palliat Med. 2017; 20 (Epub 2016/12/03PubMed PMID: 27912043; PMCID: PMC5177994): 84-92https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2016.0330
- Advance care planning, palliative care, and end-of-life care interventions for racial and ethnic underrepresented groups: a systematic review.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; 62 (Epub 2021/05/14PubMed PMID: 33984460; PMCID: PMC8419069): e248-ee60https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2021.04.025
- A race-conscious approach toward research on racial inequities in palliative care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; (Epub 2021/12/03PubMed PMID: 34856335)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2021.11.012
- Disparities in palliative and hospice care and completion of advance care planning and directives among non-hispanic blacks: a scoping review of recent literature.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021; 38 (Epub 2020/12/09PubMed PMID: 33287561; PMCID: PMC8083078): 688-718https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909120966585
- Naming the problem: a structural racism framework to examine disparities in palliative care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; (Epub 2021/08/18PubMed PMID: 34400277)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2021.07.035
Boyd RW, Lindo, EG, Weeks, LD., McLemore, MR. On racism: a new standard for publishing on racial health inequities health Affairs 2020 [cited 2021 December 20]. Available from:https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20200630.939347/full/.
- Top ten tips palliative care clinicians should know about delivering antiracist care to black Americans.J Palliat Med. 2021; (Epub 2021/11/18PubMed PMID: 34788577)https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2021.0502
- Racial equity in palliative care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; 61 (Epub 2020/12/22PubMed PMID: 33346065): 435-437https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2020.12.005
- Reporting of race and ethnicity in the ophthalmology literature in 2019.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138 (Epub 2020/06/20PubMed PMID: 32556206; PMCID: PMC7303899): 903-906https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2020.2107
- Inconsistency in race and ethnic classification in pharmacogenetics studies and its potential clinical implications.Pharmgenomics Pers Med. 2019; 12 (Epub 2019/07/17PubMed PMID: 31308725; PMCID: PMC6612983): 107-123https://doi.org/10.2147/PGPM.S207449
- Race and ethnicity as variables in Nursing Research, 1952-2000.Nurs Res. 2001; 50 (Epub 2001/09/26PubMed PMID: 11570716): 305-313https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00009
- Uncontested categories: the use of race and ethnicity variables in nursing research.Nurs Inq. 2006; 13 (Epub 2006/02/24PubMed PMID: 16494667): 52-63https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1800.2006.00305.x
- Committee AMAMoS. Updated guidance on the reporting of race and ethnicity in medical and science journals.JAMA. 2021; 326 (Epub 2021/08/18PubMed PMID: 34402850): 621-627https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2021.13304
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J Biomed Inform. 2019; 95 (Epub 2019/05/13PubMed PMID: 31078660; PMCID: PMC7254481)103208https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2019.103208
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42 (Epub 2008/10/22PubMed PMID: 18929686; PMCID: PMC2700030): 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
Standards for the classification of federal data on race and ethnicity office of management and budget; 1995 [cited 2021 December 20]. Available from: https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/omb/fedreg_race-ethnicity.
- Methodological issues for vital rates and population estimates: 1997 OMB standards for data on race and ethnicity.Vital Health Stat. 2001; 4 (Epub 2001/10/31. PubMed PMID: 11682724): 1-30
- Neuropathic symptoms and their risk factors in medical oncology outpatients with colorectal vs. breast, lung, or prostate cancer: results from a prospective multicenter study.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2015; 49 (Epub 2015/01/18PubMed PMID: 25596011; PMCID: PMC4479969): 1016-1024https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.11.300
- Race and ethnicity in: committee AMoS, editor.AMA manual of style: A guide for authors and editors. 11th ed. Oxford University Press, 2020
NIH policy on reporting race and ethnicity data: subjects in clinical research national institutes of health [cited 2022 January 28]. Available from: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/not-od-01-053.html.
Parker K, Horowitz, JM, Morin, R, Lopez, MH. Multiracial in America: pew research center; 2015 [cited 2022 May 19,]. Available from: https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2015/06/11/multiracial-in-america/.
- White, European, Western, Caucasian, or what? Inappropriate labeling in research on race, ethnicity, and health.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88 (Epub 1998/09/16PubMed PMID: 9736867; PMCID: PMC1509085): 1303-1307https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.88.9.1303
- Beyond black and white: mapping misclassification of medicare beneficiaries race and ethnicity.Med Care Res Rev. 2021; 78 (Epub 2020/07/08PubMed PMID: 32633665; PMCID: PMC8602956): 616-626https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558720935733
- Validity of race and ethnicity codes in medicare administrative data compared with gold-standard self-reported race collected during routine home health care visits.Med Care. 2020; 58 (Epub 2019/11/07PubMed PMID: 31688554; PMCID: PMC6904433): e1-e8https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000001216
- Collecting adequate data on racial and ethnic disparities in health: the challenges continue.Health Aff (Millwood). 2008; 27 (Epub 2008/03/12PubMed PMID: 18332493): 383-391https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.27.2.383
What the new census data shows about race depends on how you look at it NPR; 2021 [cited 2022 January 28]. Available from: https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/1014710483/2020-census-data-us-race-ethnicity-diversity.
Understanidng racial and ethnic differences in health in late life. Bulato RA, Anderson, N.B., editor. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2004.
Journal of pain and symptom management: guide for authors elsevier; 2021 [cited 2021 December 20]. Available from: https://www.elsevier.com/journals/journal-of-pain-and-symptom-management/0885-3924/guide-for-authors.