Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Dying in America: Improving quality and honoring individual preferences near the end of life.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2015
- Treating nondementia illnesses in patients with dementia.JAMA. 2000; 283: 3230-3235https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.24.3230
- Uncertainty and decision making for residents with dementia.Clin Nurs Res. 2011; 20: 228-240https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773811405521
- Linking resident behavior to dementia care communication: effects of emotional tone.Behav Ther. 2011; 42: 42-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2010.03.003
- Behavioral disturbances in dementia.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2003; 5: 49-59https://doi.org/10.31887/DCNS.2003.5.1/fmuellerspahn
- Does receipt of hospice care in nursing homes improve the management of pain at the end of life?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 507-515https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50118.x
- The end of life costs for Medicare patients with advanced ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2018; 148: 336-341https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.11.022
- Trends in end-of-life care and health care spending in women with uterine cancer.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 434.e1-434.e10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2017.07.006
- Cost and utilization of lung cancer end-of-life care among racial-ethnic minority groups in the United States.Oncologist. 2020; 25: e120-e129https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2019-0303
- The effect of comorbidity burden on health care utilization for patients with cancer using hospice.J Palliat Med. Jun 2011; 14: 751-756https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2010.0504
- Do cancer patients with dementia receive less aggressive treatment in end-of-life care? A nationwide population-based cohort study.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 63596-63604https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.18867
- Medical care costs associated with cancer survivorship in the United States.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2020; 29: 1304-1312https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-19-1534
- The burden of health care costs for patients with dementia in the last 5 years of life.Ann Intern Med. 17 2015; 163: 729-736https://doi.org/10.7326/m15-0381
- Potential approaches to sustainable, long-lasting payment reform in oncology.J Oncol Pract. 2014; 10: 254-258https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2014.001267
- Cancer patients have an increased incidence of dementia: a retrospective cohort study of 185,736 outpatients in Germany.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13092027
- Medical care costs associated with cancer in integrated delivery systems.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2018; 16: 402-410https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2017.7065
- Patterns of care and costs for older patients with colorectal cancer at the end of life: descriptive study of the United States and Canada.JCO Oncol Pract. 2020; 16: e1-e18https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.19.00061
- Estimating health care costs related to cancer treatment from SEER-Medicare data.Med Care. 2002; 40 (IV-104-17)https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200208001-00014
- Cancer and dementia: an exploratory study of the experience of cancer treatment in people with dementia.Psychooncology. 2016; 25: 1079-1084https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.4212
- Treatment for breast cancer in patients with Alzheimer's disease.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1897-1904https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.00467.x
- Patterns of presentation, diagnosis, and treatment in older patients with colon cancer and comorbid dementia.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004; 52: 1681-1687https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52461.x
National Cancer Institute. SEER-Medicare: Brief Description of the SEER-Medicare Database. Available fromhttps://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/overview/. Accessed August 21, 2020.
National Cancer Institute. ICD-O-3 SEER Site/Histology Validation List. Available from https://seer.cancer.gov/icd-o-3/sitetype.icdo3.20200629.pdf. Accessed October 20, 2020.
- Rural-urban differences in costs of end-of-life care for elderly cancer patients in the United States.J Rural Health. 2016; 32: 353-362https://doi.org/10.1111/jrh.12160
National Cancer Institute. SEER-Medicare: Medicare Claims Files. Available fromhttps://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/medicare/claims.html. Accessed August 21, 2020.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Databases, Tables & Calculators by Subject. Available from https://www.bls.gov/data/#prices. Accessed October 11, 2021.
Chronic Condition Data Warehouse. Condition categories: Alzheimer's disease and related disorders or senile dementia. Available at:https://www2.ccwdata.org/documents/10280/19139608/ccw-cond-algo-alzdisorders.pdf. Accessed August 21, 2020.
- Trends in end-of-life cancer care in the Medicare program.J Geriatr Oncol. 2016; 7: 116-125https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgo.2015.11.007
- Race/ethnicity, gender, and monitoring socioeconomic gradients in health: a comparison of area-based socioeconomic measures–the public health disparities geocoding project.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1655-1671https://doi.org/10.2105/ajph.93.10.1655
- Associations of census-tract poverty with subsite-specific colorectal cancer incidence rates and stage of disease at diagnosis in the United States.J Cancer Epidemiol. 2014; 2014823484https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/823484
U.S. Census Bureau. Census Bureau Regions and Divisions with State FIPS Codes. Available at:https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/maps-data/maps/reference/us_regdiv.pdf. Accessed October 28, 2020.
National Cancer Institute. Documentation for the Patient Entitlement and Diagnosis Summary File (PEDSF). Available from https://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/aboutdata/PEDSF.pdf. Accessed October 28, 2020.
U.S. Department of Agriculture. Rural-Urban Commuting Area Codes. Available fromhttps://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-commuting-area-codes.aspx. Accessed January 23, 2022.
National Cancer Institute. Attachment A for the SEER-Medicare PEDSF file: SEER research data record description cases diagnosed in 1973-2015. Available fromhttps://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/aboutdata/pedsf_attachment_a.pdf. Accessed August 21, 2020.
National Cancer Institute. SEER Cause of Death Recode 1969+ (03/01/2018). Available fromhttps://seer.cancer.gov/codrecode/1969_d03012018/index.html. Accessed November 18, 2020.
National Cancer Institute. Comorbidity SAS Macro (2021 version). Available fromhttps://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/macro-2021.html. Accessed February 5, 2022.
Kosanke J, Bergstralh E. Match 1 or more controls to cases using the GREEDY algorithm. Available at: http://bioinformaticstools.mayo.edu/downloads/sas/gmatch.sas. Accessed March 29, 2021.
SAS Institute Inc. Example 98.4 Greedy Nearest Neighbor Matching. Available at: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.4/statug/statug_psmatch_examples04.htm. Accessed April 2, 2021.
- The central role of the propensity score in observational studies for causal effects.Biometrika. 1983; 70: 41-55https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/70.1.41
- Reducing bias in observational studies using subclassification on the propensity score.J Am Stat Assoc. 1984; 79: 516-524https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1984.10478078
- Constructing a control group using multivariate matched sampling methods that incorporate the propensity score.Am Stat. 1985; 39https://doi.org/10.2307/2683903
Yang D, Dalton J. A unified approach to measuring the effect size between two groups using SAS®. Available at: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/335-2012.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2022.
- Models for longitudinal data: a generalized estimating equation approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44https://doi.org/10.2307/2531734
- Texas hospitals with higher health information technology expenditures have higher revenue: a longitudinal data analysis using a generalized estimating equation model.BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 117https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-016-1367-9
- Racial and geographic disparities in the patterns of care and costs at the end of life for patients with lung cancer in 2007-2010 after the 2006 introduction of bevacizumab.Lung Cancer. 2015; 90: 442-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2015.09.017
- SAS Version 9.4. SAS Institute Inc, 2013
- Racial and ethnic differences in hospice use and hospitalizations at end-of-life among medicare beneficiaries with dementia.JAMA Netw Open. 2022; 5e2216260https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.16260
- Exploring costs, cost components, and associated factors among people with dementia approaching the end of life: a systematic review.Alzheimers Dement (N Y). 2021; 7: e12198https://doi.org/10.1002/trc2.12198
- 2020 Alzheimer's disease facts and figures.Alzheimer's Dement. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1002/alz.12068
- Hospitalisation rates and predictors in people with dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Med. 2019; 17: 130https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-019-1369-7
- Mental and behavioral disturbances in dementia: findings from the Cache County Study on Memory in Aging.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 708-714https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.157.5.708
- A qualitative study on barriers to achieving high-quality, community-based integrated dementia care.J Rural Med. 2017; 12: 28-32https://doi.org/10.2185/jrm.2927
- Medicare Cost at End of Life.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2019; 36: 705-710https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909119836204
- Health care utilization of patients with multiple chronic diseases in the Netherlands: differences and underlying factors.Eur J Intern Med. 2016; 35: 44-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2016.08.025
- Comparison of healthcare delivery systems in low- and high-income communities.Am J Accountable Care. 2019; 7
- Disparities in palliative and hospice care and completion of advance care planning and directives among non-hispanic blacks: a scoping review of recent literature.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021; 38: 688-718https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909120966585
- End-of-life care for people with cancer from ethnic minority groups: a systematic review.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2016; 33: 291-305https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909114565658
- The impact of dementia on cancer treatment decision-making, cancer treatment, and mortality: a mixed studies review.JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2021; 5: pkab002https://doi.org/10.1093/jncics/pkab002
- Principles and management of neuropsychiatric symptoms in Alzheimer's dementia.Alzheimers Res Ther. 29 2015; 7: 12https://doi.org/10.1186/s13195-015-0096-3
National Cancer Institute. Measures that are Limited or not Available in the Data. October 27th, 2021. Available from https://healthcaredelivery.cancer.gov/seermedicare/considerations/measures.html#6. Accessed December 14, 2021.
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, part 2: patient economic burden associated with cancer care.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djab192
- Goal-concordant care - searching for the Holy Grail.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1603-1606https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1908153