Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
Group, U.S.C.S.W., U.S. Cancer Statistics Data Visualizations Tool, Based on 2019 Submission Data (1999-2017). June 2020, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute: Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/dataviz/download_data.htm.
Group, U.S.C.S.W., U.S. Cancer Statistics Data Visualizations Tool, Based on November 2018 Submission Data (1999-2016):https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/dataviz/download_data.htm June 2018, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute: Available at: www.cdc.gov/cancer/uscs/dataviz/index.htm.
SEER Cancer Stat Facts: Ovarian Cancer. Available at: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html.
- Disparities in ovarian cancer treatment and overall survival according to race: an update.Gynecol Oncol. 2021; 162: 674-678
- Trends in surgery and chemotherapy for women diagnosed with ovarian cancer in the United States.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3488-3494
- Disparities in ovarian cancer care quality and survival according to race and socioeconomic status.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 823-832
- Feeling powerless: locus of control as a potential target for supportive care interventions to increase quality of life and decrease anxiety in ovarian cancer patients.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 138: 388-393
- Investigation of racial disparities in early supportive medication use and end-of-life care among Medicare beneficiaries with stage IV breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 2265-2270
- Racial disparities in supportive medication use among older patients with brain metastases: a population-based analysis.Neuro Oncol. 2020; 22: 1339-1347
- The concept of access: definition and relationship to consumer satisfaction.Med Care. 1981; 19: 127-140
- Measurement of socioeconomic status in health disparities research.J Natl Med Assoc. 2007; 99: 1013-1023
- Socioeconomic status in health research: one size does not fit all.Jama. 2005; 294: 2879-2888
- The financial hazard of personalized medicine and supportive care.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 3399-3401
- Patterns in health care access and affordability among cancer survivors during implementation of the Affordable Care Act.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 791-797
- Sociodemographic disparities in advanced ovarian cancer survival and adherence to treatment guidelines.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 833-842
- Socioeconomic status as a predictor of adherence to treatment guidelines for early-stage ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 138: 121-127
- Impact of race, socioeconomic status, and the health care system on the treatment of advanced-stage ovarian cancer in California.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 468.e1-468.e9
- Cancer disparities by race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status.CA Cancer J Clin. 2004; 54: 78-93
- Spatial analysis of adherence to treatment guidelines for advanced-stage ovarian cancer and the impact of race and socioeconomic status.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 134: 60-67
U.S. Census Bureau based on 2021 submission data (2008 –2019). Small Area Health Insurance Estimates (SAHIE) using the American Community Survey (ACS) Available at:https://www.census.gov/data/datasets/time-series/demo/sahie/estimates-acs.html.
- The histology of ovarian cancer: worldwide distribution and implications for international survival comparisons (CONCORD-2).Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 144: 405-413
- Assessing comorbidity using claims data: an overview.Med Care. 2002; 40: Iv-26-35
- Coding algorithms for defining comorbidities in ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 administrative data.Med Care. 2005; 43: 1130-1139
- Validation of a case definition for depression in administrative data against primary chart data as a reference standard.BMC Psychiatry. 2019; 19 (Jan 7PMID: 30616546; PMCID: PMC6323719): 9https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-018-1990-6
Services, C.f.M.a.M., Dually Eligible Beneficiaries Under Medicare and Medicaid. 2020, US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Gynecologic cancer outcomes in the elderly poor: a population-based study.Cancer. 2015; 121: 3591-3599
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in adherence to preventive health services for ovarian cancer survivors.J Cancer Surviv. 2019; 13: 512-522
- Disparities in perceived unmet need for supportive services among patients with lung cancer in the Cancer Care Outcomes Research and Surveillance Consortium.Cancer. 2014; 120: 3178-3191
- Disparities in mental health treatment in U.S. racial and ethnic minority groups: implications for psychiatrists.Psychiatr Serv. 2005; 56: 1600-1602
- Racial/ethnic differences in perception of need for mental health treatment in a US national sample.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2017; 52: 929-937
- Racial and ethnic differences in depressive subtypes and access to mental health care in the United States.J Affect Disord. 2014; 155: 130-137
- Who is at risk of nondetection of mental health problems in primary care?.J Gen Intern Med. 2000; 15: 381-388
- Trends in the rate of depressive illness and use of antidepressant pharmacotherapy by ethnicity/race: an assessment of office-based visits in the United States, 1992-1997.Clin Ther. 2000; 22: 1575-1589
- Racial disparities in diagnosis and treatment of depression: a literature review.Psychiatr Q. 2007; 78: 3-14
- Racial disparities in prescription drug use for mental illness among population in US.J Ment Health Policy Econ. 2005; 8: 131-143
- Pain and its treatment in outpatients with metastatic cancer.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 592-596
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pain: causes and consequences of unequal care.J Pain. 2009; 10: 1187-1204
- Optimal pain management for patients with cancer in the modern era.CA Cancer J Clin. 2018; 68: 182-196
- The unequal burden of pain: confronting racial and ethnic disparities in pain.Pain Med. 2003; 4: 277-294
- Pain and ethnicity in the United States: a systematic review.J Palliat Med. 2006; 9: 1454-1473
- Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 4296-4301
- Updated overview of the SEER-Medicare Data: Enhanced Content and Applications.J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2020; 2020: 3-13
- Medicare beneficiaries with depression: comparing diagnoses in claims data with the results of screening.Psychiatr Serv. 2011; 62: 1159-1166
Novelty and Impact: We evaluated the role of health care affordability in utilization of supportive care medications for depression, fatigue, pain, and nausea among Non-Hispanic White, Non-Hispanic Black, and Hispanic ovarian cancer patients. Non-Hispanic Black patients and those living in lower educated areas were less likely to receive antidepressants, highlighting a critical need for clinical strategies to address this gap.