Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Jinsei no saishuudankai niokeru iryou kea no fukyuu keihatsu no arikata nikansuru houkokusho. [Awareness survey on medical care at the final stage of life: Report (Japanese)]. 2018. Available from: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/file/05-Shingikai-10801000-Iseikyoku-Soumuka/0000200748.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2020.
Japan Medical Association. Dai juurokuji seimeirinri kondankai toushin. [The 16th meeting report of JMA Council on Bioethics (Japanese)]. 2020. Available from: https://www.med.or.jp/dl-med/teireikaiken/20200527_3.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2020.
The Japan Geriatrics Society. ACP suishin nikansuru teigen. ["Recommendations for the promotion of advance care planning": consensus statement of subcommittee on end-of-life issues (Japanese)]. 2019. Available from: https://www.jpn-geriat-soc.or.jp/press_seminar/pdf/ACP_proposal.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Palliative care physicians' practices and attitudes regarding advance care planning in palliative care units in Japan: a nationwide survey.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2014; 31: 699-709
- Healthcare providers' perceptions on the timing of initial advance care planning discussions in Japan: a mixed-methods study.J Gen Intern Med. 2021; 36: 2935-2942
- Frequency of discussing and documenting advance care planning in primary care: secondary analysis of a multicenter cross-sectional observational study.BMC Palliat Care. 2020; 19: 32
- Nihon niokeru adobansukeapuranningu kenkyuu nikansuru tougouteki bunken rebyuu. [Integrative review of advance care planning research in Japan (Japanese)].Palliat Care Res. 2018; 13: 341-355
- Kokunaigai no adobansukeapuranningu nikansuru bunkenkentou to sorenitaisuru ichikousatsu. [A review of advance care planning in research and clinical settings (Japanese)].Palliat Care Res. 2019; 14: 269-279
- Beyond culture.Anchor Books, New York, NY1989
- Acculturation of attitudes toward end-of-life care: a cross-cultural survey of Japanese Americans and Japanese.J Gen Intern Med. 2002; 17: 531-539
- End-of-life decisions and advance directives in palliative care: a cross-cultural survey of patients and health-care professionals.J Pain Symptom Manage. 1998; 16: 153-162
- Reconsidering long-term care in the end-of-life context in Japan.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2016; 16: 132-139
- Advance care planning in a multicultural family centric community: a qualitative study of health care professionals', patients', and caregivers' perspectives.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 56 (213-221 e214)
- Advance care planning in Asian culture.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2020; 50: 976-989
- Patients' preferences and factors influencing initial advance care planning discussions' timing: a cross-cultural mixed-methods study.Palliat Med. 2020; 34: 906-916
- How psychosocial factors contribute to Japanese older adults' initiation of advance care planning discussions: a qualitative study.J Appl Gerontol. 2021; 40: 1180-1188
- Association between religious beliefs and discussions regarding advance care planning: A nationwide survey.Palliat Med. 2021; 35: 1856-1864
- Experience as an informal caregiver and discussions regarding advance care planning in Japan.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; 61: 63-70
- Association between direct interpersonal involvement with a dying family member and discussions regarding advance care planning among Japanese older adults.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2021; 21: 197-202
- The Delphi technique in nursing and health research.1st ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 2011
The Japan Medical Abstract Society. About "Ichushi". 2018. Available from: https://www.jamas.or.jp/english/. Accessed February 1, 2022.
Japan Medical Association. Dai juugoji seimeirinri kondankai toushin. [The 15th meeting report of JMA Council on Bioethics (Japanese)]. 2017. Available from: https://www.med.or.jp/dl-med/teireikaiken/20171206_1.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2020.
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Jinsei no saishuudankai niokeru iryou kea no ketteipurosesu nikansuru gaidorain. [Guideline for the decision-making process of end-of-life medical care (Japanese)]. 2018. Available from: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/file/06-Seisakujouhou-10800000-Iseikyoku/0000197721.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2020.
- Defining advance care planning for adults: a consensus definition from a multidisciplinary Delphi panel.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 53 (821-832 e821)
- Definition and recommendations for advance care planning: an international consensus supported by the European Association for Palliative Care.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: e543-e551
- The RAND/UCLA appropriateness method user's manual.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2001
- Delphi procedure in core outcome set development: rating scale and consensus criteria determined outcome selection.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 111: 23-31
- Principles of good practice for the translation and cultural adaptation process for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measures: report of the ISPOR task force for translation and cultural adaptation.Value Health. 2005; 8: 94-104
- A survey of the perspectives of patients who are seriously ill regarding end-of-life decisions in some medical institutions of Korea, China and Japan.J Med Ethics. 2012; 38: 310-316
- Preferences of advanced cancer patients for communication on anticancer treatment cessation and the transition to palliative care.Cancer. 2015; 121: 4240-4249
- Advance care planning nikansuru hosupisunyuuinchuu no shinkougankanja no kibou. [Preferences of patients with advanced cancer for advance care planning].Palliat Care Res. 2016; 11: 101-108
- Nihonrounenigakkai ACP suishin nikansuru teigen no igi—shakaiteki bunkateki tokuchou wo humaerukotono juuyousei. [The significance of the Japan Geriatrics Society "Recommendations for the promotion of advance care planning": consensus statement of subcommittee on end-of-life issues - with social and cultural characteristics in mind. (Japanese)].Geriatrics. 2020; 2: 539-545
- Guidelines from the Japan Geriatrics Society for the decision-making processes in medical and long-term care for the elderly: focusing on the use of artificial hydration and nutrition.Geriatr Gerontol Int. 2018; 18: 823-827
- Explicit prognostic disclosure to Asian women with breast cancer: a randomized, scripted video-vignette study (J-SUPPORT1601).Cancer. 2019; 125: 3320-3329
- Adobansukeapuranningu no purosesu to gutaiteki shien. [Advance care planning processes and specific assistance: through analysis of the timing of the confirmation of the intentions of care recipients by visiting nurses (Japanese)].J Japan Assoc Bioeth. 2016; 26: 90-99
- Houmonkangoshi niyoru shuumatsuki gankanja heno adobansukeapuranningu to kiboushiboubasho deno shibou no jitsugen tono kanren. [Association between advance care planning by a visiting nurse and achieving the desired place of death for patients with end-stage cancer (Japanese)].J Japan Acad Nurs Sci. 2017; 37: 123-131
- Timing and facilitation of advanced directives in Japan.Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2018; 79: 83-87
- Implementation status and explanatory analysis of early advance care planning for Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer patients.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2015; 45: 261-266
- Youkaigo koureisha no shuumatsuki heno ishihyouji nikakawaru keamanejaa no shienhouhou to shinjou. [Support methods and feelings of care-managers pertaining to intention for end-of-life of the elderly in need of care (Japanese)].J Japan Acad Gerontol Nurs. 2019; 23: 59-67
- Patient experience of primary care and advance care planning: a multicentre cross-sectional study in Japan.Fam Pract. 2017; 34: 206-212
- Adobansukeapuranningu no sokushinyouin to shouheki. [Factors promoting ACP and factors hindering ACP: an analysis of the care process and specific support of home care nurses for elderly people living alone (Japanese)].J Japan Assoc Bioeth. 2018; 28: 11-21
- Practice and perceived importance of advance care planning and difficulties in providing palliative care in geriatric health service facilities in Japan: a nationwide survey.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2018; 35: 464-472
- Gankanja heno kangoshi no adobansukeapuranningu. [Advance care planning of nurses to cancer patients (Japanese)].J Japan Soc Cancer Nurs. 2019; 33: 45-53
- Redefining the "planning" in advance care planning: preparing for end-of-life decision making.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 153: 256-261
- Relational autonomy or undue pressure? Family's role in medical decision-making.Scand J Caring Sci. 2008; 22: 128-135
- Relational autonomy: what does it mean and how is it used in end-of-life care? A systematic review of argument-based ethics literature.BMC medical ethics. 2019; 20
- One Size Fits All? On patient autonomy, medical decision-making, and the impact of culture.Med Law Rev. 2015; 23: 375-399
- Principles of biomedical ethics.8th ed. Oxford University Press, New York2019
- Barriers to advance care planning in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Palliat Med. 2009; 23: 642-648
- Spouse as health care proxy for dialysis patients: whose preferences matter?.Gerontologist. 2005; 45: 812-819
- Too soon to give up: re-examining the value of advance directives.Am J Bioeth. 2010; 10: 3-22
- Survey of the general public's attitudes toward advance directives in Japan: how to respect patients' preferences.BMC Med Ethics. 2006; 7: E11