Objectives and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
National Consensus Project for Quality Palliative Care. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care, 4th edition. Richmond, VA.
- A Systematic Review in Support of the National Consensus Project Clinical Practice Guidelines for Quality Palliative Care, Fourth Edition.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018; 56: 831-870
National Quality Forum. Palliative Care and End-of-Life Care.
- Measuring What Matters: Top-Ranked Quality Indicators for Hospice and Palliative Care From the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2015; 49: 773-781
- Nationwide Quality of Hospice Care: Findings From the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Hospice Quality Reporting Program.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018; 55 (427-32.e1)
- Development of Valid and Reliable Measures of Patient and Family Experiences of Hospice Care for Public Reporting.J Palliat Med. 2018; 21: 924-932
- The PEACE Project: identification of quality measures for hospice and palliative care.J Palliat Med. 2010; 13: 1451-1459
- Quality indicators for palliative and end-of-life care in vulnerable elders.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2007; 55: S318-S326
- The quality of care provided to hospitalized patients at the end of life.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1057-1063
- Cancer Quality-ASSIST supportive oncology quality indicator set: feasibility, reliability, and validity testing.Cancer. 2010; 116: 3267-3275
- The quality of supportive cancer care in the veterans affairs health system and targets for improvement.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 2071-2079
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion: The Bereaved Family Survey-Inpatient Available from: https://www.cherp.research.va.gov/CHERP/PROMISE/The_PROMISE_Survey.asp.
- Characteristics of Hospices Providing High-Quality Care.J Palliat Med. 2020; 23: 1639-1643
- Black And Hispanic Patients Receive Hospice Care Similar To That Of White Patients When In The Same Hospices.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1283-1290
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. CMS Quality Measure Development Plan Environmental Scan and Gap Analysis Report (MACRA, Section 102). Group HSA, editor. Baltimore, MD.
Chen EK, Ahluwalia SC, Shetty K, Pillemer F, Etchegaray JM, Walling A, et al. Development of Palliative Care Quality Measures for Outpatients in a Clinic-Based Setting: A Report on Information Gathering Activities. 2020 2020/02/25.
Ahluwalia SC, Vegetabile BG, Edelen MO, Setodji CM, Rodriguez A, Scherling A, et al. MACRA Palliative Care Quality Measure Development—Testing Summary Report: Measure Name: Receiving Desired Help for Pain. 2021 2021/09/03.
- MACRA Palliative Care Quality Measure Development–Testing Summary Report: Measure Name: Feeling Heard and Understood.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2021
- MACRA Palliative Care Quality Measure Development: Summary Report of Alpha Testing.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2020
- New Patient-Centered Quality Measures for Office-Based Palliative Care.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA2021
- Incorporating the Patient and Caregiver Voice in Palliative Care Quality Measure Development.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2022; 63: 293-300
- Experiences with Telehealth for Outpatient Palliative Care: Findings from a Mixed-Methods Study of Patients and Providers across the United States.J Palliat Med. 2022; 25: 1079-1087
- A novel Scale to Assess Palliative Care Patients' Experience of Feeling Heard and Understood.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2022; 63 (689-97.e1)
- Building a Roadmap From Patient-Reported Outcome Measures to Patient-Reported Outcome Performance Measures.2021
Schultz E, Ast K, Kirch R. The Medical Care Blog [Internet]2022. Available from: https://www.themedicalcareblog.com/centering-measurement-on-patients/.
Schultz E, Ast K, Sullivan G. The Medical Care Blog [Internet]2022. Available from: https://www.themedicalcareblog.com/measuring-what-matters-to-patients/.
American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Summary of Technical Expert Clinical User Patient Panel (TECUPP) Meeting and Measure Specification Panel (MSP) Meeting April 10 - April 11, 2019. 2019.
American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Summary of Technical Expert Clinical User Patient Panel (TECUPP) Virtual Meeting October 21, 2019. 2019.
American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Summary of Technical Expert Clinical User Patient Panel (TECUPP) Virtual Meeting June 15, 2020. 2020.
- Feeling Heard and Understood in the Hospital Environment: Benchmarking Communication Quality Among Patients With Advanced Cancer Before and After Palliative Care Consultation.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018; 56: 239-244
- Feeling Heard and Understood: A Patient-Reported Quality Measure for the Inpatient Palliative Care Setting.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2016; 51: 150-154
- Challenges in using opioids to treat pain in persons with substance use disorders.Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2008; 4: 4-25
- Posttraumatic stress disorder at the end of life.J Palliat Med. 2006; 9: 213-218
- Ambulatory Palliative Care Patients’ Experience of Feeling Heard and Understood.2021 (Available from:)
- Ambulatory Palliative Care Patients’ Experience of Receiving Desired Help for Pain.2021 (Available from:)
- Quality of care is associated with survival in vulnerable older patients.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 143: 274-281
- Overall Survival Results of a Trial Assessing Patient-Reported Outcomes for Symptom Monitoring During Routine Cancer Treatment.JAMA. 2017; 318: 197-198
Center to Advance Palliative Care. CAPC Payment Primer- What to Know about Payment for Palliative Care Delivery Available from: https://www.capc.org/documents/96/.
California Health Care Foundation. Lessons Learned from Payer-Provider Partnerships for Community-Based Palliative Care. 2018.
- Challenges Of Measuring Quality Of Community-Based Programs For Seriously Ill Individuals And Their Families.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 1227-1233
- Top Ten Tips Palliative Care Clinicians Should Know About Integrating Population Health Principles into Practice.J Palliat Med. 2020; 23: 568-572
- Population Health and Tailored Medical Care in the Home: the Roles of Home-Based Primary Care and Home-Based Palliative Care.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018; 55: 1041-1046
- Why Population Health and Palliative Care Need Each Other.JAMA. 2016; 316: 27-28
- The Serious Illness Population: Ascertainment via Electronic Health Record or Claims Data.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2021; 62: e148-ee55
- Population-Based Pragmatic Trial of Advance Care Planning in Primary Care in the University of California Health System.J Palliat Med. 2019; 22: 72-81
- AGA Clinical Practice Update on Palliative Care Management in Cirrhosis: Expert Review.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 19 (646-56.e3)
- Integration of Palliative Care Into Standard Oncology Care: ASCO Clinical Practice Guideline Update Summary.J Oncol Pract. 2017; 13: 119-121
- An official American Thoracic Society clinical policy statement: palliative care for patients with respiratory diseases and critical illnesses.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 177: 912-927
- Clinical practice guideline on shared decision-making in the appropriate initiation of and withdrawal from dialysis. The Renal Physicians Association and the American Society of Nephrology.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2000; 11: 1340-1342
- Palliative Care and Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke: A Policy Statement From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association.Circulation. 2016; 134: e198-e225
- A Person-Centered, Registry-Based Learning Health System for Palliative Care: A Path to Coproducing Better Outcomes, Experience, Value, and Science.J Palliat Med. 2018; 21: S61-Ss7