Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Hospice services.in: Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy, Washington D.C.2021: 307-350
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Section 11: Other Services. In: July 2016: A Data Book - Healthcare Spending and the Medicare Program. Washington, D.C.; 2016:178-197.
- Implementation of the hospice payment reforms.Medicare Learn Netw. 2015; MM9201: 1-6
- Improving medicare Post-Acute Care Transformation (IMPACT) Act.Public Law 113-185-Oct. 2014; 6: 1-20
Advisory Board. How hospices can prepare for increased federal audits under the IMPACT Act. Available at: https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2014/11/07/how-hospices-can-prepare-for-increased-federal-audits-under-the-mpact-act. Published 2014. Accessed November 7, 2017.
- Do live discharge rates increase as hospices approach their Medicare aggregate payment caps?.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 55: 775-784
- Live discharge from hospice.J Hosp Palliat Nurs. 2019; : 1https://doi.org/10.1097/njh.0000000000000547
- Factors driving live discharge from hospice: provider perspectives.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 53: 1050-1056https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2017.02.004
- A positive association between hospice profit margin and the rate at which patients are discharged before death.Health Aff. 2017; 36: 1291-1298
- Live discharge from hospice and the grief experience of dementia caregivers.J Soc Work End-of-Life Palliat Care. 2016; 12: 47-62
- Being discharged from hospice alive: the lived experience of patients and families.J Palliat Med. 2015; 18: 495-499https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2014.0228
- Dying in America: Improving quality and honoring individual preferences near the end of life.The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C.2015
- Late referral to hospice and bereaved family member perception of quality of end-of-life care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2005; 30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2005.04.013
- Timing of hospice referral and families’ perceptions of services: are earlier hospice referrals better?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 819-823https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2005.53259.x
- Unique correlates of heart failure and cancer caregiver satisfaction with hospice care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016; 51: 71-78https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2015.09.001
- Rates and risks for late referral to hospice in patients with primary malignant brain tumors.Neuro Oncol. 2016; 18: 78-86https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/nov156
- How does the timing of hospice referral influence hospice care in the last days of life?.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51: 798-806https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2389.2003.51253.x
- Hospice enrollment saves money for medicare and improves care quality across a number of different lengths-of-stay.Health Aff. 2013; 32https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2012.0851
- Family perspectives on hospice care experiences of patients with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2017; 35: 432-439https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2016.68.9257
- Patients dying with dementia: experience at the end of life and impact of hospice care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2008; 35: 499-507
- Hospice care for patients with advanced progressive dementia.Springer Publishing Company, Inc., New York, NY1998
- Dying with dementia: symptoms, treatment, and quality of life in the last week of life.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2014; 47: 710-720
- Caring for a family member or friend with dementia at the end of life: a scoping review and implications for palliative care practice.Palliat Med. 2018; 32: 643-656
- Palliative care for alzheimer patientsl implications for institutions, caregivers, and families.in: Volicer L Hurley A Hospice Care for Patients with Advanced Progressive Dementia1. Springer Publishing Company, Inc., New York, NY1998: 132-154
- White paper defining optimal palliative care in older people with dementia: a Delphi study and recommendations from the European Association for Palliative Care.Palliat Med. 2014; 28: 197-209
- Section 11: other services.in: June 2012: A Data Book - Healthcare Spending and the Medicare Program. Washington D.C., 2012: 183-202
- Section 11: Other Services.in: July 2021 Data Book. Washington D.C., 2021: 183-204
- Alzheimer disease in the United States (2010-2050) estimated using the 2010 census.Neurology. 2013; 80: 1778-1783https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e31828726f5
- Medicare Program; FY 2014 Hospice Wage Index and Payment Rate Update; Hospice Quality Reporting Requirements; and Updates on Payment Reform.Fed Regist. 2013; 78 (27923-27852)
- Evaluation of federal policy changes to the hospice benefit and use of hospice for persons with ADRD.JAMA Heal Forum. 2022; 3e220900https://doi.org/10.1001/jamahealthforum.2022.0900
- Use of ICD-9 coding as a proxy for stage of disease in lung cancer.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2002; 11: 709-713https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.759
- Hospice services.Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy. Washington D.C., 2010: 141-161
- A national study of live discharges from hospice.J Palliat Med. 2014; 17: 1121-1127https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.0595
- Effect of ownership on hospice service use: 2005–2011.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: 1024-1031https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.14093
- National hospice survey results for-profit status, community engagement, and service.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 500-506https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.3
Hunt M, Rezaee ME, Luallen J, et al. Medicare hospice payment reform: a review of the literature (2013 update). Report prepared for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Differences between non-profit and for-profit hospices: Patient selection and quality.Int J Health Care Finance Econ. 2012; 12: 107-127
- Providing care at the end of life: do medicare rules impede good care?.Health Aff. 2001; 20: 204-211
- US hospice industry experienced considerable turbulence from changes in ownership, growth, and shift to for-profit status.Health Aff. 2012; 31: 1-15
- Association of hospice agency profit status with patient diagnosis, location of care, and length of stay.JAMA. 2011; 305: 472
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Section 11: Other services. In: June 2013: A Data Book - Healthcare Spending and the Medicare Program. Washington D.C.; 2013:185-205.
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Section 11: Other services. In: June 2014: A Data Book - Healthcare Spending and the Medicare Program. Washington D.C.; 2014:177-197.
- Hospice fraud and abuse: operation restore trust and beyond.Am J Hosp Palliat Med. 2003; 20: 1-8
Scanlon WJ. Testimony before the special committee on aging, U.S. Senate. MEDICARE: more beneficiaries use hospice, many factors contribute to shorter periods of. GAO. 2000.
- National trends in adult hospice use: 1991-1992 to 1999-2000.Health Aff. 2006; 25: 792-799https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.25.3.792
- Hospice services.in: Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy, Washington D.C.2017: 315-342
- Hospice services.in: Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy, Washington, D.C.2018: 321-350
Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, Hospice services, In: Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy, Washington D.C., 2019, 309–340, Available at:http://www.medpac.gov/docs/default-source/reports/mar19_medpac_ch12_sec.pdf. Accessed June 26, 2019.
- Hospice services.in: Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy. 2020: 1014https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1996.tb01887.x (Vol March.)
- Live hospice discharge: experiences of families, and hospice staff.Patient Educ Couns. 2021; 104: 2054-2059https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2021.01.002
- Live discharge from hospice for people living with dementia isn't “graduating”—It's getting expelled.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2021; 69: 1457-1460https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.17107
- Hospice underutilization in the U.S.: the misalignment of regulatory policy and clinical reality.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018; 56: 808-815https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2018.08.005
Public Law 111-148 - Mar. 23, 2010: an Act, entitled the patient protection and affordable care act. 111th Congr.:1-906. Available at: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/pdf/PLAW-111publ148.pdf. Accessed November 16, 2017.
- Medicare program; hospice wage index for fiscal year 2012. Final rule.Fed Regist. 2011; 76: 47302-47352
Centers of Medicare & Medicaid Services, CMS manual system: pub100-04 medicare claims processing: transmittal 3032, Dep Heal Hum Serv, 2014, Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Transmittals/downloads/R3032CP.pdf. Accessed December 4, 2019.
- Hospice acquisitions by profit-driven private equity firms.JAMA Heal Forum. 2021; 2e213745https://doi.org/10.1001/jamahealthforum.2021.3745
- Deaths in the United States among persons with Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimers Dement. 2014; 10: e40-e46