Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Use of intensive care at the end of life in the United States: an epidemiologic study.Crit Care Med. Mar 2004; 32: 638-643https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ccm.0000114816.62331.08
- Palliative care in the intensive care unit: barriers, advances, and unmet needs.Crit Care Clin. 2004; 20.3: 329-343
- Palliative care in the ICU.J Palliat Med. 2012; 15: 168-174
- The role of policy and law in shaping the ethics and quality of end-of-life care in intensive care.Intensive Care Med. 2022; 48: 352-354
- Symptoms experienced by intensive care unit patients at high risk of dying.Crit Care Med. Nov 2010; 38: 2155-2160https://doi.org/10.1097/CCM.0b013e3181f267ee
- The symptom burden of chronic critical illness.Crit Care Med. Jul 2004; 32: 1527-1534https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ccm.0000129485.08835.5a
- The changing role of palliative care in the ICU.Crit Care Med. Nov 2014; 42: 2418-2428https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0000000000000573
- Recommendations for end-of-life care in the intensive care unit: a consensus statement by the American College [corrected] of Critical Care Medicine.Crit Care Med. Mar 2008; 36: 953-963https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0b013e3181659096
- Palliative Care Early in the Care Continuum among patients with serious respiratory illness: an official ATS/AAHPM/HPNA/SWHPN policy statement.Am J Respirat Crit Care Med. 2022; 206: e44-e69
- Evidence-based palliative care in the intensive care unit: a systematic review of interventions.J Palliat Med. Feb 2014; 17: 219-235https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.0409
- Improving end-of-life care: palliative care embedded in an oncology clinic specializing in targeted and immune-based therapies.J Oncol Pract. 2017; 13: e729-e737https://doi.org/10.1200/jop.2016.020396
- Study protocol for a randomised trial evaluating the non-inferiority of stepped palliative care versus early integrated palliative care for patients with advanced lung cancer.BMJ open. 2022; 12e057591
- Effects of early integrated palliative care in patients with lung and GI cancer: a randomized clinical trial.J Clinical Oncol. 2017; 35.8: 834
- Preliminary report of the integration of a palliative care team into an intensive care unit.Palliat Med. 2010; 24: 154-165
- Integration of palliative care advanced practice nurses into intensive care unit teams.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. May 2017; 34: 330-334https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909115627425
- Palliative care processes embedded in the ICU workflow may reserve palliative care teams for refractory cases.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. Jan 2018; 35: 60-65https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909116684821
- Improving care of people with serious medical illness—an economic research agenda for palliative care.JAMA Health Forum. 2022; 3 (No. 1. American Medical Association. e214464)
- The family healthcare decisions act: a summary of key provisions.NYSBA Health Law J. 2010; 15: 32-35
- Palliative care as essential to a hospital system’s pandemic preparedness planning: how to get ready for the next wave.J Palliat Med. 2021; 24: 656-658
- Identifying older adults with serious illness: transitioning from ICD-9 to ICD-10.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 57 (Epub 2019 Mar 12): 1137-1142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2019.03.006
- Identifying older adults with serious illness: transitioning from ICD-9 to ICD-10.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 57: 1137-1142
- Appraisal of the Karnofsky Performance Status and proposal of a simple algorithmic system for its evaluation.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2013; 13.1: 1-7
- Comorbidity measures for use with administrative data.Med Care. 1998; : 8-27
- Update on hospital mortality measures and their implications.Cent Adv Palliat Care. 2020; (Available at:)https://www.capc.org/events/recorded-webinars/update-hospital-mortality-measures-and-their-implications/
- AGS position statement: resource allocation strategies and age-related considerations in the COVID-19 era and beyond.J Am Geriatrics Soc. 2020; 68: 1136-1142
Parker, J. (2021, August 13). Hospices feel strain of GIP audits as inpatient care days dwindle. Retrieved November 28, 2022, fromhttps://hospicenews.com/2021/08/13/hospices-feel-strain-of-gip-audits-as-inpatient-care-days-dwindle/.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Editorial Comment: David Hui, MD, MSc, FAAHPM. Associate Editor.
This quality improvement project conducted prior to the pandemic reported an increase in goals of care discussion and reduction in intensive care unit mortality after embedding a palliative care team, highlighting opportunities for collaboration to improve patient care.