Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
- Bad Medicine: The Harm that Comes From Racism.The New York Times. 2020; (Available from:)https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/upshot/bad-medicine-the-harm-that-comes-from-racism.htmlDate accessed: November 30, 2022
- The effects of race and racial concordance on patient-physician communication: a systematic review of the literature.Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2018; 5: 117-140https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-017-0350-4
- Patient-physician racial concordance associated with improved healthcare use and lower healthcare expenditures in minority populations.Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2022; 9: 68-81https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-020-00930-4
- COVID highlights another crisis: lack of black physicians and scientists.Med. 2021; 2: 2-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medj.2020.06.006
- Palliative care in critical care settings: a systematic review of communication-based competencies essential for patient and family satisfaction.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2017; 34: 887-895https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909116667071
- Factors associated with patient satisfaction in outpatient department of Suva Sub-divisonal Health Center, Fiji, 2018: a mixed study.Frontiers in Public Health. 2019; 7: 183https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2019.00183
- Trust in the health care professional and health outcome: A meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2017 Feb 7; 12e0170988https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone
- Antecedents and outcomes of patient satisfaction in healthcare: a conceptual model.Health Mark Q. 2020; 34: 300-315https://doi.org/10.1080/07359683.2021.1947068
- Racial differences in trust in health care providers.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 896-901https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.8.896
- Trust in the health care system and the use of preventive health services by older black and white adults.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 1293-1299https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.123927
- Disparities in Access to Palliative Care.in: Kelly A.S. Meier D.E. Meeting the Needs of Older Adults with Serious Illness. Humana Press, New York, NY2014: 19-29
- Evaluation of racial disparities in hospice use and end-of-life treatment intensity in the REGARDS cohort.JAMA Network Open. 2020; (3e2014639)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.14639
- The fierce urgency of now: addressing racial and ethnic disparities in serious illness care.North Carolina Medical Journal. 2020; 81: 254-256https://doi.org/10.18043/ncm.81.4.254
- Association of care at minority-serving vs non-minority-serving hospitals with use of palliative care among racial/ethnic minorities with metastatic cancer in the United States.JAMA Network Open. 2019; (2e187633)https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.7633
- Racial and ethnic disparities in palliative care.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2013; 16: 1329-1334https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2013.9468
- How should medical school admissions drive health care workforce diversity?.AMA Journal of Ethics. 2021; 23: E912-E918https://doi.org/10.1001/amajethics.2021.912
- Lack of exposure to palliative care training for black residents: a study of schools with highest and lowest percentages of black enrollment.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2021; 61: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2020.11.010
- Palliative care attitudes and experiences among resident physicians at historically black colleges and universities.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2022; 63: 106-111https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2021.07.005
- Provision of palliative care services by family physicians is common.The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine. 2017; 30: 255-257https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2017.02.160230
- Primary palliative care.UpToDate. 2022; (Available from:)https://www.uptodate.com/contents/primary-palliative-careDate accessed: September 30, 2022
- Fast Facts and Concepts.2022 (Available from:)https://www.mypcnow.org/fast-facts/Date accessed: July 26, 2022
- CAPC Toolkits.2021 (Available from:)https://www.capc.org/toolkits/Date accessed: July 26, 2022
- The status of medical education in end-of-life care: a national report.Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2003; 18: 685-695https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2003.21215.x
- An educational intervention to improve resident comfort with communication at the end of life.Journal of Palliative Care Medicine. 2013; 16: 54-59https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2012.0173
- Teaching pediatric palliative care communication skills to fourth-year medical students through role-play.MedEdPORTAL. 2020; 16: 10991https://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10991
- Effect of palliative care curriculum on serious illness conversation preparedness.ATS Scholar. 2021; 2: 642-650https://doi.org/10.34197/ats-scholar.2021-0019IN
- The educational impact of weekly e-mailed fast facts and concepts.Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011; 14: 475-481https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2010.0418
- Characteristics in response rates for surveys administered to surgery residents.Surgery. 2013; 154: 38-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2013.04.060
- Surveys in surgical education: a systematic review and reporting guideline.Eur Surg Res. 2021; 62: 61-67https://doi.org/10.1159/000516125
- Surveys of health professions trainees: prevalence, response rates, and predictive factors to guide researchers.Academic Medicine. 2017; 92: 222-228https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000001334
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Editorial Comment: Amy A. Case, MD, FAAHPM. Associate Editor.
This is an interesting and important topic to improve primary palliative care at HBCUs.
Funding: This work has been supported by an Arthur Vining Davis Foundations grant; Dr. Schenker was supported by an NIH grant, K24AG070285.